Lorry’s Yummy Rhubarb Crumble
After my father’s sudden passing in 2009, my sister’s and I make sure to celebrate this incredible WWII pilot and father of five’s birthday with something special. We do so by making one of his absolute favorite’s —Rhubarb Crumble (from the spring vegetable garden!). Not only does this delicious treat remind us of our loving father, but it is the most satisfying sweet treat! Perfect for after supper, entertaining friends and neighbors on the porch, or relaxing around a fire pit with a cup of coffee, tea or glass of milk. Wherever or whenever you decide to indulge, enjoy it! We’ll be right there with you (wink).
3-4 stalks of rhubarb, halved lengthwise, and cut into 3–inch pieces
4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
1 cup granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp grated orange zest
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 cup flour
½ tsp salt
1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
1 tbls cornstarch
½ cup brown sugar (pack lightly)
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter (cold + diced)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Toss rhubarb, strawberries, ¾ c sugar and the orange zest together
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the orange juice in a separate bowl and then add and mix into fruit
- Pour into an 8×11 inch baking dish and place it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper
- For the topping, mix the flour, remaining ½ cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt and oatmeal
- Add butter and mix until the dry ingredients are moist.
- Sprinkle on top of fruit and bake for 1 hour until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown
- Serve warm with cream or ice cream…
Bon appetit and God Bless!
*Send us your favorite recipe and we’ll showcase it for all our viewers!